There has been a male Great Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major (N=flaggspett) in our garden at Midtsandan for a few days now. Have only had fleeting glimpses of it as it flew off from one of the small bushes bordering the garden. The woodpecker has been wedging pine cones in the forks between the branches and the trunk of one small bush, which seems to be its favourite anvil. It then spends time extracting the seeds from the cones. The bird is surprisingly confiding. Often I first notice it as it flies from it favourite bush, and it flies only when I am very close. So today I had the camera ready and managed a few half-decent photos. This particular woodpecker is particularly aggressive and I saw it chasing off crossbills from the pines on several occasions.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.