Thursday, 8 September 2011

Lemmings

There have been many reports of large numbers of Lemmings Lemmus lemmus (N=lemen) during 2011. There have been good numbers in many upland areas. During the past week, I have found a number of dead lemmings close to the coast in Malvik, Sør-Trøndelag. As yet, I have not seen any live lemmings this close to the coast. All the dead animals have been either killed by cars or found dead under unknown circumstances.

Lemming, found dead Midtsandneset, Malvik 07.09.2001


Lemmings are an important food source for Snowy Owls (N=snøugle). According to the website of the Norwegian Ornithological Society (www.birdlife.no) at least 38 pairs have bred in the two northernmost counties (Troms and Finnmark) this year. I await in anticipation for one to turn up here. In the meantime, the photo below is of a 1st calender year female Snowy Owl found in Leirfjord (Nordland county) in September 2010.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.