Poland is perhaps not the first country I would think of spending time to watch seabirds. But we stayed a few days in the (extremely busy) seaside resort of Leba in northern Poland for a few nights. Each morning I walked to the end of the breakwater on the west side of the river to see what was around. I was pleasantly surprised, both in terms of the variety of species gulls and terns I saw there as well as their closeness to where I was standing. The area was teaming with small fish, and both the local (human) fishermen as well as the more efficient winged varieties were eagerly trying to catch these.
Great Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo, Leba, Poland
Herring Gull Larus argentatus, Leba, Poland
Black-headed Gull Chroicocephalus ridibundus, Leba, Poland
Common Tern Sterna hirundo, Leba, Poland
Sandwich Tern Sterna sandvicensis, Leba, Poland
Little Tern Sterna albifrons, Leba, Poland
Black Tern Chlidonias niger, Leba, Poland (record shot of bird that flew past)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.